About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The backwaters of Kerala!

We arrived early morning to Cochin in the Indian state of Kerala (They call it the land of coconuts). After we checked into the hotel we organized a trip on the backwaters (a series of lakes and canals) in a house boat. It was about a 1.5 hour drive from the hotel to where our boat departed from. There was a Russian, South African and 2 Bulgarian flight attendants and myself. We were all very tired after flying all night (I had no sleep before the flight – I arrived back from the Maldives at noon and was back at the airport at midnight for this flight). When we arrived it was beautiful! The boats are magnificent. We rented a 2 bedroom boat (we just went for a day cruise) with lunch for about US$155 through the hotel including transport. I am sure you could get it for ½ the price if arranged outside of the hotel. The rates per night were quoted at US$200 for the 2 bedroom and US$320 for the 3 bedroom with all food included.
We were met with welcome coconut drinks by our crew of three. It was a dry day (no alcohol for sale on the 1st day of the each month in Kerala) so we all raided our mini–bars (in the hotel rooms) and brought along some beer. We were provided with a lovely Indian lunch. The area around were we sailed was full of rice paddies and coconut trees. It was a very tranquil day and we all felt very relaxed at the end of the day. By the time we reached the hotel I had been up for about 34 hours straight. After some room service and a shower I had a great sleep.
Today when I awoke the news said that all flights into and out of Kathmandu have been cancelled. The king of Nepal has thrown out the government. I am very happy that I was not on an overnight in Kathmandu because the crews there could be stuck for a long time until they allow flights to start operating again. We fly to some very politically unstable places… at the end of February I fly to Yangon, Myanmar…a very politically unstable place.
I am leaving tonight for Australia (I hope…if I can get on the flights) via Dubai or Singapore. I will be able to receive calls and texts on my Qatari mobile (cell) +974 556-3275 or my Australian mobile +61 402-144-147 (works only in Australia).

No comments:

Blog Archive