About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Yangon!

I finally have some time to post!
I flew to Yangon, Myanmar (http://www.myanmartravel.net/myanmar.htm)…what a nice place! The people were very friendly - many spoke English, it is one of the cleanest cities I have been to (only beaten by Singapore), very economical (cheap!), the food was great and the city beautiful. The infrastructure is great (roads and services), many beautiful Buddhist (the most famous being Shwedagon Pagoda http://www.myanmar.com/shwedagon/ ).
We only had a day there but hired a taxi for about US$4.50 an hour. The driver spoke good English and acted as a tour guide also. He took us around to several temples and several parks in the city.
The weather was fairly hot (about 30C/86F) and humid. The best time to go is December (according to locals) as that month has the coolest weather. I understand that the coast is beautiful and I am looking forwards to returning there soon (unfortunately it will not be with work…the A319 flies there and I am switching aircraft- so on days off).
After returning from Yangon I have flown 2 Bombay return flights. One of them during the day- I have included some pictures from the cockpit of the slums around the airport. It is an interesting airport which sometimes you have to stop the aircraft taxiing to let dogs walk in front of you (sucking up a dog into a US$5,000,000 engine will ruin your day, the dogs day and the engine also!). Not my most interesting experience with dogs - that would have been when I was flying with Ansett and we were taxiing for departure out of Bali. There were 2 dogs mating on the taxiway! After I had stop the aircraft, I had to give a creative PA to the passengers trying to explain why departure was going to be delayed... let alone trying to ask the tower controller (who spoke very limited English limited to aviation phrases) to send out someone to break up the action!
Today I do my last flight on the A320 aircraft! I am flying to Istanbul, Turkey. I started flying the A320 on Aug 2, 1989. After 15 years and 7 months, 3 airlines and 1 divorce - it is time for a change!
I leave for Toulouse, France on Monday the 7th for training on the A330. My training is spread out there (only 7 days required) to 16 days… lots of time off to explore Toulouse!

No comments:

Blog Archive