About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Casablanca!

Back from Casablanca… sounds better than it really is!
I have to admit it is very colourful and looks exotic but it is my least favourite place to stay – most of the non Arab crew also dislike staying there. (I prefer Dhaka over Casablanca!). The hotel is nice but is full of prostitutes and both times I have been in Casablanca people have tried to pickpocket me.
The flight to Casablanca went by Tripoli. We do not overnight there. It is an easy airport to get in and out of (no traffic!) and amazingly good air traffic control. Then off to Casablanca. The trip is very long and after coming from Dhaka the previous day, flying all night by the time we arrive at the hotel about 12:00 I fell into bed for a bit of a sleep. I later went to the gym and then out to try to find some food with a fat content of less than 50%...about the healthiest food they have is McDonald’s and KFC (I didn’t have either)….that is sad! The next day I took Zander (the pink hippo) on a bit of a sight see. We went to the largest mosque and then to the ocean. It is very pretty there. After a bit of a walk around I caught a taxi back to the bazaar across from the hotel. On the way I saw a man getting a tooth pulled out by a roadside dentist (man sitting on bucket with a pair of pliers and dirty hands… ouch!) by the time I got the taxi to turn around the tooth had been extracted (no photos) and the dentist was waiting for the next patient (victim?).
The bazaar is a maze of small laneways full of very colourful shops. It is very easy to get lost in the bazaar but all the satellite dishes on the building point the direction of the hotel… just follow the satellite dishes home!
After that it was off for a bit of sun by the pool then the flight back to Doha.
My next flight is on Sunday to Johannesburg and Capetown South Africa.
I return late Wednesday night and then have 4 days off. I have been invited to go to the Black Sea in Bulgaria (never thought I would be going there!).

2 comments:

§kyye said...

Hey, great pics.. fascinating travels. Just up surfing tonight and happened upon your page. Hope you don't mind that I linked to your blog!

John said...

I have been to Casablanca and I liked it very much! Morocco is a beautiful country, with its ancient towns, coastal resorts and snowy peaks. Morocco has become one of the major holiday destinations in the Mediterranean, an exotic location with extraordinary natural and cultural wealth. There are a number of reasons why Morocco and especially Casablanca property is so profitable investment, chief amongst them is the fact that Morocco has enjoyed relative stability for an extended period of time

Blog Archive