About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Lessons learned

I have learned a few valuable lessons about kite surfing in the past few days:

1- When practicing water relaunching of a kite (the type I have) you can only do 2 or 3 water relaunches before the kite starts soaking up the water and after about 10 relaunches in a row the kite becomes water logged and will not relaunch!

2- Practice water relaunched close to shore!

3- A water logged kite is a pain in the backside to get to shore (at least there was an on-shore wind).

4- Kite line and fishing lines have the same properties but unlike fishing line, kite line is way too expensive to just cut and get new ones (there is 4 lines on my kite) when tangled up in a huge knot!

5- When drying out a 13 square metre kite at night it is about the same size as my living room.

6- The amount of sand that can be brought into a house by a wet kite is amazing (until you have to clean it all up!).

When I return from my South Africa trip my board should be ready and I can start the next stage of kite surfing.

I am off to South Africa today and will be back next Tuesday. I had a nice chat with the kids and they are happy and doing well at school. I hope to get back to Australia in June to see them.

I have a very busy schedule of flying next month with over 97 hours rostered of flight time and 4 day of standby (days they can call me out to fly).

I will post again next Tuesday.

No comments:

Blog Archive