About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Monday, January 10, 2005

Beautiful Seychelles

I think I have seen one of the best Islands in the world! I have been to the Caribbean, Fiji, Hawaii, The Whitsunday’s , Bali, The Maldives but The Seychelles were amazing! The people are so genuinely friendly, the contrast of the beaches and the mountains (only 3,000 ft high). When we arrived we headed for the beach, it is their wettest month but the weather held out for us. On the beach we exchanged our US$ (black market rate is 8 or 9 Rupees to 1US$, official exchange rate 5 to 1). The next day (Sunday) we tried to organise a fishing trip and beach bbq for the next day (Sunday). Unfortunately everyone was booked out (have phone #’s now to pre-arrange). Then off to dinner at a place called ‘The Boat House’. The food was amazing. We found out that it is very hard to get a taxi at night and ended up walking back to the hotel in the dark, with no lights, and not totally sure we were heading the right way. After about 45 minutes we found the hotel (the next day we discovered it was a 10 minute walks on the beach back to the hotel!). Then it was drinks on the beach, after we tried to find a night club, but they all start getting busy about 2-3 in the morning…. So we ended up giving it a miss. The next day (Sunday) we ended up just lying on the beach and body surfing the waves. In the afternoon I decided to attempt to find a path up through the tropical rainforest to the top of the mountain (why - because it is there!). One of the flight attendants wanted to come with me, so off we went. We spent about 3 hours looking for a path (never found one to the top). It was very interesting walking the back trails and roads. We met a tsunami victim with a broken leg and a big smile. Then it was back to the hotel and The Boat House for dinnerwith the rest of the crew. After dinner we all had a nice walk along the beach to the hotel for some much needed sleep. Today when I woke up it was pouring down rain. I wish I had a few more day there… maybe next month!
I spent most of the flight back witing out exercise programs for the first officer and 1 of the flight attendants (while the first officer did all the work- it's good to be the captain). I seem to be doing it a lot lately and think I may write an exercise book (I have one started...or an exercise blog) or start doing some more personal training.
I am now back in Doha, wondering what the hell I am doing here! I am heading off to the gym to work my legs (yuck!). Tomorrow I have a return flight to Trivandrum India in the morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURES. IT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLACE TO VACATION. IN U S DOLLARS HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST TO VACATION THERE. PER DAY, PER WEEK? IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO BRING A FLASHLIGHT FOR NIGHT TROLLING, A MAP AND A CLUB TO FIGHT OFF THE SPIDERS. (I DON'T THINK I WILL SHOW JANET THE SPIDER PICTURE) WE HAVE ABOUT 4 INCHES OF SNOW. DID THE PERSON WITH THE BROKEN LEG HAVE A GOOD STORY TO GO WITH IT. YOUR BLOG SITE IS GREAT. MAYBE YOU SHOULD WRITE FOR TRAVEL MAGAZINES, OR TRAVEL AGENT. HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL. TALK TO YOU SOON.

HAROLD AND JANET PLEASANT

Anonymous said...

Kirk: Now you have us all thinking about finding time and dollars to visit you in the island parts of your life--that sounds so much more enticing than the desert. Like Harold, I wonder which seasons and how much? (Hopefully no more big earthquakes or tsunomis--and if you will handle those nasty critters, please, and find the trails!)

An exercise book sounds great--you know you are a great trainer/educator. Now Harold & I would be the true test--get/keep us motivated and seeing results!!! Brian & I went to the club last night and worked out. I bought a family membership for Christmas for Mike, Brian & Jeff & me--we know that Jeff will always get his money's worth--and rest of us?????

I'm definitely working on my resolution to get organized this year--working with a lady who cleans & organizes. It's working!!! And work. But I'm hoping for a new improved me this year--and room to breathe in my home,to have fun playing with my designs, and to do more entertaining.

All's well here. I talked to Aunt Elsie Saturday. She said Ray is doing better and everyone else was in the Virgin Islands for the wedding on one of Arnie's sons. She said she didn't feel like traveling that far. They just had a foot or so of new snow that morning in Tieton--Dennis was taking the girls sledding in Prosser.

That's all from here. Love the website, photos & updates. Talk to you soon. Love, Kathy

Captain Kirk said...

Hi,

The cost of going to the Seychelles would be about $40 per day, per person for food. Entertainment- fishing $300-650 per day for boat (including lunch, and beach bbq of your catch at the end of the day. Diving about $100 (so I been told- by one of the pilots- he said it was the best he had ever done, seeing and petting whale sharks, a school of 10-12 ft black tip reef sharks, a school of devil rays, a school of dolphins feeding on a school of barracuda and many other big and colourful fish… all in a 30 minute dive! It makes me want to take a diving course). The hotels… no idea I would guess you could find a clean, nice hotel for $50 – 100/ day. The beach is for free!

Kirk

Blog Archive