About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! Because I am so bad at emailing and keeping in contact with everyone, I thought this might be a better way to keep everyone informed about what is happening in my life. I am an airline pilot currently working and living in the Middle East. Previously I have flown for airlines in Australia and the US. I am divorced with 2 great children that live with their mother in Australia.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Sick of the gym's here!

It is a beautiful sunny day in Doha! The weather for 7-8 months of the year is magic. The temperature is about 26C/79F, no wind and a blue sky. I had a gut full of the gyms here in Doha yesterday. Traffic was horrendous (due to an accident at a round-about, the cars will not move until the police arrive) a 5 km drive turned into over 1 hour. Upon arrival the majority of the people in the gym forgot 1 of the basic rules of working out in a gym- shower within the last month! The smell was unbelievable. Then there are the funny hours- closed on Fridays, not open before 10:00 am every day, some are closed for ‘women only up til 3:00pm…. Enough! I could go to the bigger hotels here for a gym but they are fair distance away and have cancelled any discount for us now, so quite expensive. I bit the bullet and bought (ordered) a bunch of equipment today. Power Rack, Olympic bar and weights, adjustable bench and some dumbbells, now where am I going to put it! I live in a small 1 bedroom apt…. who needs a table and chairs anyway! All this for about the price of a year’s membership in one of the big hotel gyms.
Heading out to the pool (will post pic later of compound- great place to live with pool, tennis court but a crap gym!). The Qatar Tennis Open is playing today so will go and watch a bit before going to work tonight. One great thing about Qatar all of the sporting events are free to watch! I went last night and the stadium was almost empty. Today’s matches are:
Centre Court (4pm)Fabrice Santoro (Fra) vs Gael Monfils (Fra); followed by (not before 6pm) Roger Federer (Sui) vs Greg Rusedski (Gbr); followed by Sebastien Grosjean (Fra) vs Hyung-Taik Lee (Kor); followed by Albert Costa (Esp)/Rafael Nadal (Esp) vs Frantisek Cermak (Cze)/Leos Friedl (Cze).
Some big names come here; today I will watch the Federer vs Rusedski match.
Hope all is well

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirk:

I'm seeing if this message gets to you. I'm still not able to log in under KP, so will work on that. Good luck with your new gym--I'm sure you can eat off some of the equipment! I like your website--easy to keep up with your adventures--and see the world through your travels. Thanks for posting itinerary, but will need help deciphering it!?! Love to you & Kevin. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey Kirk, nice website. John Arnold it getting to me, I need to find a place to workout or maybe even start walking or running. Everything is fine here in the USA, In Chicago right now watching, Driving Miss Daisy, what a classic. The weather outside is fog and rain with a chance of freezing rain.

Keep up the good work

Jeff Short

Blog Archive